Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Fiddlin' Around With Sourdough

I started some sourdough about a year ago, and have been using it off and on since then. It's not the first starter I've had, but my previous one was probably ten years ago or so. I enjoyed having it, and I would make pancakes on the weekends, biscuits, and of course, lots of bread. Then life got in the way, and I stopped using it. 
About a year ago, I decided to start another one, and I've been enjoying it immensely. Since it's calmed down a little since all my Christmas baking, and we were out of bread, I decided that sourdough bread was precisely what we needed. The recipe I started with was just a plain white sourdough bread, but one of my favorites. It requires an overnight starter, so last night I put it together before I went to bed. However, this morning I changed my mind and included oatmeal and whole wheat flour. And, just like that, it morphed into something with a life of its own. It needed a bigger bowl to give it more room, and then halfway through the first rise, it needed even more room. I divided it into my two biggest bowls instead of just one. 
Fast forward about 6 hours.... I'm happy to report that five large bread pans will fit in my oven. It's amazing how you can start with such simple ingredients and end up with heaven on a plate. It's kind of like magic.



5 comments:

  1. Looks like good bread! My husband has been trying to learn how to make good sourdough bread. So far . . . limited success, but he says he's going to work on it this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Good for your hubby! Winter is the best time for stuff like bread, and, well, almost all manner of baking, I think.
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you start your own starter ? I have tried that once and I made a mess. That bread looks heavenly. I love sourdough...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you start your own starter ? I have tried that once and I made a mess. That bread looks heavenly. I love sourdough...

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't beat a good sourdough loaf and that looks like a very good sourdough!

    ReplyDelete