Thursday, June 24, 2010

Busy, Busy!

Today started out early. Well, 6:00 is early for me. Hubby woke me up when he left for work, and he'd already been up for well over an hour. Anyway, I headed out to the garden, since it was supposed to be another hot day today. David helped me for a few hours, when he begged me to go inside to work. "Mom, you know how much I love helping you in your garden, but there are so many things for me to do inside! Why don't you let me go and do the stuff you hate to do, just because I love ya so much?" How could I say no? Besides, between the two of us in just a few short (cool-ish) hours, we were able to accomplish so much. Let me show you!

This is the before picture of my pea and onion bed. They were both done and just taking up room.

This is what it looks like now, weeded and fertilized! It's ready for beans to be planted this evening. I forgot to soak the seeds last night, so I popped them in a bowl this morning.


What's that? Where's the onions??? Here's some of them, drying in the next row, with the squash.


The, "before picture" of the OLD cabbage bed. A few days ago, I dug up and tossed out the old cabbages, but it still needed lots more help.


Here it is now, with cardboard down, weeded, fertilized, mulched, and posts put in for the new cucumbers. I'm really late with my cukes and beans this year, and I'm hoping I haven't waited too long. These will get planted tonight, too. If it's not too hot, I'll go find some fencing and put that up after the seeds are in.


Oh, hey, do you remember that about half of my raised beds are new this year? It's helped out alot with keeping the weeds down in the beds. Yesterday, I took my trusty weedwacker to the weeds between the beds, and then put down cardboard and chips from our eucalyptus. Check this out!

And last, but certainly not least, here's what I'm going to be picking tonight. I hope they taste good. It's a new variety I'm trying called 4th of July.


1 comment:

  1. You have tomatoes already? Dang I am so jealous! I want some of your veggies, can you send some with gene and nedra when they come up next month? Mitch will gladly bring them home! You know how we love fresh veggies..and we have had fresh beets, cabbage, onions, rhubarb, strawberries, squash so far from the CSA!

    ReplyDelete