Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Wet Weekend

Here in the valley of Northern California, we don't usually get rain in June. Normally, this time of year, I would have been out in the garden all weekend, weeding, planting, pruning, harvesting, and whatever else I could find to keep myself busy and out of the house. But this weekend, it rained. And rained. And rained. My lettuce loved it, and my cabbage loved it, and actually, the zucchini doesn't seem to mind. But me? I wasn't overly fond of it. Not now, anyway. So instead, I baked, and quilted, and read a book. Ok, I watched tv, too. That's where I got my baking ideas. Look at what I made! Three different types of cookies! Chocolate chip, French Butter Cookies, and a Chocolate Swirl/French Butter Cookie. They're all pretty good, so now I'm sending them all to work with my hubby.


I also did some quilting on a UFO (unfinished object) that's been hanging around for a few years. Astrid has inspired me to do a little more quilting, and I was thinking of her when I was sewing, listening to the rain with the bedroom window open. Here's two of the quilt blocks I finished. Now I have a total of 8 blocks done, and 4 more to go. Wahoo! Then the sashing, and off to the quilter!


8 comments:

  1. Very productive for a wet weekend! And you could have sent some of those there cookies up the highway with G & N, just sayin'? We had your nice weather for Friday and Saturday, and we got some time in outside. Dug up a Japanese maples out of the yard and it is coming your way and you can see what your green thumb can do with it. The tree it fell from is currently 15+ feet tall, so you should have a great plant! And oh yeah we tried a third jarred product this morning, and it was really good too, so there are at least 3, count em, 3 jarred products coming your way, and we plan on doing it again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get into the quilting but those cookies on the right.... that's another story. Enjoy the rains. They are gifts from the gods and an opportunity for you to enjoy other venues, such as cookies and quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been baking cookies, too! Isn't this weather something! I pruned my tomatoes in the rain. The weatherman says we'll be in the 80's this week...after Tuesday...hopefully! I still have to plant sweet potatoes, squash and corn!

    Your quilt squares are beautiful...can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My, you have been busy with those talented hands of yours. Cookies look delish and what lovely quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca, canned stuff AND a Japanese Maple?? Wow! We've been looking at Japanese Maples in the stores, but haven't gotten one yet. I'll let you know how it does. Thanks!
    Wendy, the swirl and light cookies are from one butter cookie recipe that I tweaked a little for the swirly one. They're really good!
    Lynda, I looked at my tomatoes in the rain, but decided to go inside and sew! I'm interested in your sweet potatoes. Have you grown them before? I've never planted them.
    Lorie, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather has been just sooo unusual all over the country this year. You sure can't count on much anymore.

    We're having bright sunshine, then rain, bright sunshine, then rain over and over all day today. Really weird.

    Your quilt blocks are lovely. Don't forget to post a pic of the top when you get it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOH! I'm happy I can be to some inspiration, thank you! :) What feels better than to quilt on rainy days... My intention was to do some weeding yesterday, but it decided to rain.... so instead I worked on more bags. :) Your blocks are so lovely, love the colors! Can't wait to see the quilt done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mama Pea, hopefully (fingers crossed!) we are starting our stretch of warm weather, starting yesterday. Monday it rained, yesterday and today were warm, and into next week should be the same. My youngest moved the firewood out of the porch, so it can't get cold anymore until fall. I'll post more on my top when I get it further along.

    Astrid, you are quite welcome! I'm hoping after I've been off school for a bit (summer vacation) I'll work in the yard in the mornings, come inside, clean up, have lunch, then quilt for a few hours. That's the plan anyway. Love your bags!

    ReplyDelete