Thursday, June 30, 2011

Redneck Algae Doohicky

I thought you might like to see what I use to pick algae out of my little pond. Nothing fancy, but it sure does the trick. Cost me all of about $4, too! I probably could have made it for even less if I had gotten the brush at the dollar store, but I was at the hardware store, and didn't want to make another stop. I was being lazy. Anyway, here's the little gem at work:

Pretty sweet, huh?? I was able to pick up that clump of algae all at once, and go on about my business. Here's a closeup of the business end of the whole thing. Maybe you recognize it???


If you have a pond and are having a hard time grabbing the clumps of algae, these are easy to make. All you need is a NEW toilet brush with the extra little brush pokey-out thing, a few zip ties, and a stick/pole/handle. My handle was from a painting brush, probably 4-5 feet long. It could be an old broom, mop, or whatever you might have laying around that hasn't made it to the garbage yet. Zip tie the brush to the end of the handle, and away you go! Here's mine. Uh, maybe I should cut the zip ties?? Yea, I'll get right on that.



Speaking of ponds, I've got some flowers in mine!

And a few visitors at night! Guess I'd better put the new food somewhere else.


10 comments:

  1. Homemade doohicky! I love it. You go girl, oh creative one. :-) Do you have any fish in this pond?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!! Need is the *mother of invention*! You have come up with a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever---a great money saving trick. WHat a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thyme, yes, we do have fishies in this pond. The goldfish we added in last year were about 1.5 - 2 inches, and this spring/summer they are easily as long as my hand and quite fat! We also have mosquito fish. Lots of them!!

    Lynda and Sue, Thanks! Pretty funny, huh??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, you are creative even in the garden! We have at least one big fat red goldfish in our pond! Scared the heebies out of Mitch the other night, like he knew it was feeding time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great thinking! Whatever works and does the trick, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it could double as a back scratcher in the off season ;-)

    Pretty, pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becca, a friend of mine had all her goldfish trained! When she walked out with the food, they all swam over for breakfast!

    APG, that's what I always figure, too!

    Granny, Ha! Never thought of using it for a back scratcher. You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, that is great! If you would have shown the picture of your tool and not the purpose... I would have never gueesed what you use it for. Besides maybe having one crazy huge toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praire Cat, Oh, what a thought! I don't even want to think about cleaning a "crazy huge" toilet!

    ReplyDelete