Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Ribs with Kale and Tomatoes

Dinner tonight was slow cooked ribs. They were really, really, good. Geoff put a dry rub on them after he marinaded them for a few hours. Then he barbecued them for an hour or so. Oh, they were good. Then I realized I'd better fix something to go with them, because, while ribs are tasty, they need some sort of veggie. So I cut up some tomatoes, and made..... kale chips. Ever had them? Actually, an hour before we ate them, I'd never even heard of them. My father-in-law told me about them, so I ran out (actually, I walked rather slowly) to the garden and picked myself a handful of kale and got to work.



Kale Chips

1 pound kale, rinsed, dried, cut from stem
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning

In bowl, gently mix kale with oil and bbq seasoning. Put on parchment lined cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Check after about 10 minutes, every 5 minutes thereafter. You want the kale to be crispy but not a burned crispy.

*I think next time I'll put a wire rack sprayed with Pam on top of the cookie sheet, and put the kale on that. The parchment got wet from the oil and the moisture from the kale.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum!

    We had ribs last night, too!

    Mitch started them in the oven, on a bed of onions and Kona Brew Pub beer and salt and pepper, and then threw them on the grill and charred them, yum!

    Garden report coming? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning something new; kale... Never heard of it before - had to google it to find out! :) I've never seen it here... I see it's in the family of broccoli, so perhaps - if I want to make it - I can substitute it with broccoli....
    Oh those yummy ribs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't grown kale yet, mostly because I have no idea what I would do with it, but hey, you just gave me an idea! I do love crunchy, savory snacks. This could be a healthier alternative to potato chips, right??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca, ribs are great! We really like them. Garden report already up, I'm really (really) late in posting. Internet problems.

    Astrid, I cook kale the same way I cook chard, spinach, or any green that needs to be cooked. Not like lettuce. It's got lots of healthy stuff in it. Vitamins and minerals, and things that keep us healthy. It's wonderful stuff.

    thyme, kale is a great one to try, and also chard might be one to consider. I've started chard from seed, and also transplanted it when I had to rip out a bed. The kale I have is from a 6 pack I bought at the farmer's market. My chard is like zucchini, it just keeps producing. Oh, and it will last from one year to the next, at least here it does. (Northern California, in the valley, zone 9)

    ReplyDelete